I am once again trying to get into better shape, and I'm dragging Peter along with me. We're both getting far too squishy. I get in a little bit of exercise every day just biking back and forth to school, but I need more than just 15 minutes here and there. I keep a detailed calendar on my computer so that I can keep track of my classes, assignments, appointments, and study time. I am also using it now to schedule in time to work out. I'm starting to become one of those people who has to schedule everything. In fact, the other day Peter got onto my calendar and entered in "Spend time with Peter" onto it. I laughed when I came home and found it. He argued that because it was now on my schedule I had to do it. I thought it was really cute. Any ways, I just thought I'd share my new workout schedule in case some of you may be inspired to do something similar.
Monday - Budokon. It's an intense mixture of yoga, eastern martial arts, and meditation. Really gets your blood pumping.
Tuesday - Cardio at the gym and weightlifting. I like to alternate the equipment I use from day to day. One day it's the treadmill, next it's the stairclimber, etc.
Wednesday - Tai Chi. Yeah, I know it's that thing old Asian women do in the park on Sunday afternoons, but it's really beautiful how it flows like a dance, and it's very relaxing. Just perfect for a mid-week workout.
Thursday - Cardio at the gym and weightlifting again.
Friday - Workout on the ball. It's a great total body workout. Not just your abs.
In addition to exercising regularly, I am also trying to eat a little better, too. I recently made the decision to stop drinking caffeine, and I decided to go one step further and make that stop drinking soda entirely. It's nothing but sugar and carbon dioxide. Two things your body does not need. I'm also going to eat more veggies and have fish once a week.
With school, and the craziness of normal life, I don't know how well I will be able to keep up with this, but it's important to keep trying and not give up. I've already noticed some benefits to eating better and working out. 1.) No caffeine crash. I'm not cured of feeling really tired, but it's requiring me to adopt a regular sleeping pattern. School has been throwing off my circadian rhythm and I need to correct it. 2.) I have better focus at school and when I'm studying. I have an attention problem, especially when I'm required to focus on something I don't care about. Regular exercise, for some reason, helps me to better engage my mind into my studies. 3.) I feel happier/better. Exercise releases endorphins, and eating well helps give your body sustained energy. 4.) Better body image. I've only recently begun a regular exercise routine so I have not yet seen any changes in my physical appearance, however I have noticed a correlation between mind and body. When I work out, I feel like I look better, even if all I've lost is half a pound.
Every other week I plan on reporting on my and Peter's progress. My hope is that we will maintain our motivation this way if we can look back and see the changes that have occurred overtime. Today is Thursday, so as soon as Peter gets home from school it's off to the gym! Woo!
7 comments:
Sweet! Keep it up! I'm excited to hear of your progress!
I've never heard of this budokan thingy...sounds intriguing! And in case you haven't heard my theory - I think soda is the #1 reason for America's obesity problem. People down hundreds, even thousands of empty calories drinking it every day. I would rather save my calories for ice cream and drink water for free! Good luck with the working out, I would lay off the fish though, bluck!
Good for you! I seem to go through periods of serious exercise and then not exercising. Fortunatly I generally eat pretty healthy which helps keep me slim, but I am well aware (being an exercise science major) of the lifetime benefits of exercise...so I need to get moving more too!
If you're going to keep track, post before pics. I'd love to see you 'squishy'! I can't believe you'd ever fit into that category. ;)
Wow! Here's my workout plan. Pick up baby at least a hundred times a day. Run up and down my stairs at least 50 times a day. stretch my arms up to my hair when I can't take it no more, and try to relax and meditate as I try to fall asleep around midnight. Sigh!
Oh, and my diet, I've cut out lots of callories since I eat breakfast late, and forget to eat lunch most days!
Wow - way to go you!! I feel so motivated now.
Post a Comment