Sunday, October 11, 2009

October

I guess we weren't busy enough with midterms because we've managed to pack in a number of events and projects so far this month. To start with, Peter spent the first weekend in October at the Society of American Foresters convention in Orlando, FL. The main goal was to try and find a permanent job, but unfortunately he hasn't heard back on any of the interviews he did. I guess the market for forestry jobs is tighter than we thought. At least while he was down there he got to visit his uncle Michael and aunt Lisa and their three kids. He came home and told me that that was the best part of his whole trip to Florida. He may not have come back with a job, but he did come back with some fun stories. One worth sharing occurred when he happened to pass the Geico booth at the convention. Geico is one of the big companies that sponsors the SAF convention, and last year they gave the winners of the Quiz Bowl Geico toasters (because toasters are cool, right?). Utah State won last year so Peter came home with a lovely toaster that cooks the outline of the Geico gecko into your toast. Well, when Peter strolled past the Geico booth this year he heard some laughter directed towards him, so he decided to check it out. They explained why they were laughing and held up a bobblehead of a Geico caveman from their commercials. I have to admit...the resemblance is uncanny.They gave him one for free in exchange for a picture of him holding the bobblehead. I laughed my butt off when he produced the bobblehead and told me the story.

This Saturday Peter and I worked on another fund-raising project for the Forestry Club. We spent the entire day out at Deseret Land and Livestock doing stand exams. We basically looked at trees all day. We broke off into teams and I of course got paired up with Peter. We walked around the woods and recorded data of tree species, diameter, height, etc . The tough part of the project was that our plots were located on the north slope of a mountainside. I spent most of my energy trying to stay upright and not tumble down the mountain. There was also a good 4-6 inches of snow on the ground which made for even more treacherous footing. I'm not well known for my balance or coordination so you can understand how I might have stumbled a time or two...or dozen. It was pretty cold, too. If I wasn't moving, I was freezing. I did have fun learning more about what Peter does at work, although he normally doesn't have snow to contend with. I also enjoyed looking for animal tracks in the snow. I found deer, elk, and moose as well as snowshoe hare, and some canid track that looked too big to be a fox or coyote. Unless some hunter's dog got lost it could have been a wolf. We were relatively close to the Wyoming border and there have been reports of wolf packs crossing the border recently. I'm no expert on animal tracks so I can't say for sure, but the thought is kind of exciting.

So to recap, Peter got to go to Florida and I learned about stand exams...and that I'm married to a caveman, which is something I've suspected for years. :)

4 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

That's too funny. Good job not falling off the mountain. Good luck with the job searching!

Barb said...

That bobble head cracks me up!! So funny!

Barry said...

Hilarious! I love that bobble head picture!

Jeff and Eliza said...

Oh freak! I can't believe my brother is the Geico caveman! That is hilarious! I'm craving some Gecko toast!