Thursday, September 11, 2008

Home Sweet Home

Peter and I finally moved back to Logan at the end of August and I can't even begin to describe how glad I am to be back! Working for the Forest Service was great, but I really did not like living in Evanston, WY. Our apartment there was a tiny rundown studio that smelled like musty old cigarette smoke, but it cost us the same amount of rent as our two bedroom in Logan and that includes cable and high-speed wireless Internet! We also slept on an air mattress for nearly four months and that gets old real quick. I almost cried with joy when I got back to Logan and saw my king sized bed waiting for me. I don't think anything short of the apocalypse would have woken us up that first night back home.

The view from my apartment in Evanston was also less than appealing. Every day I would get up and leave to go to work, only to be greeted by this when I walked out the door...

Beautiful, isn't it? It also smelled really badly, too. Most of those trailers had been condemned but people still lived in them. I just don't understand what brings a person to this point in life. Most of my neighbors also worked at the oil field and they would get home late at night and stand half naked out in front of their apartments and blast their mariachi-techno-rap music and get drunk. Needless to say, I never went anywhere without Peter as my personal bodyguard. I got hit on a time or two in the laundry room, too, by big nasty hairy men. Ick. Oh, that's also another thing I'm happy to have back...my own washer and dryer. It's so nice to not have to drag my laundry up and down three flights of stairs and pay $10.00 a week on the coin operated facilities.

So, yeah...Evanston was loads of fun.

I had a rather odd summer filled with all kinds of new experiences for me. I got to work for the Forest Service and meet all kinds of interesting people. I also gained a greater appreciation for the things I do have. Peter and I don't have much, but we have each other and we're happy. Being college students our budget can be really tight, but we know we're working towards building a better life for ourselves.

It's the little things in life that matter the most any ways, and I'm just glad I can walk outside in my own neighborhood again without fear.

No comments: