Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Has It Really Been That Long?


Today Peter and I are celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary! It was five years ago on this day that we embarked on an eternally long journey together, and I can't think of another person I would want more for my traveling companion. He's funny, he's sweet, he's handsome, he's a great cook, but most of all he's my best friend. What more could a girl ask for?

Of course he's not perfect, but I'll let you in on a little secret...

I'm not either.

So, at least we're on the same level.

Now, if someone had asked me on my wedding day what I thought our lives would be like in five years, I would have surely told you that we would be done with school, have a kid or two already, and possibly be living in a house in the 'burbs somewhere. Have we managed to accomplish any of the aforementioned goals, you may ask?

Not a single one.

Apparently, things in life don't always go as planned. Shocking. I know. But you know what? I'm okay with it. Sure we don't have a house, or kids, or even our degrees (we're working on it), but we're happy. I long ago decided to stop worrying about what everyone else has and what I don't. I would be a horrible person to not realize how very blessed I am. I have a good husband who miraculously loves me despite all of my flaws and quirks (and boy am I ever quirky). I'm lucky not to have just one family I love and adore, but two! My in-laws are some of the most wonderful people I know and I'm grateful to be a part of their family. My grandmother used to say that she was the richest woman in the world because we, her children and grandchildren, were her jewels. I can't help but agree with her because I am surrounded and loved by some of the greatest "gems" in the world. My family.

Am I being too cheesy? Well, it doesn't matter. I happen to like cheese.

So, how are Peter and I planning to celebrate this milestone in our lives? Nothing, really. Turns out familiar wealth doesn't exchange favorably in today's market, i.e. we're broke. Peter's also completely swamped with school work, so even if we had the money to go on a trip somewhere, he couldn't afford to miss any classes. It's okay, though. To quote The Beatles, "All you need is love," which I have an abundance of, it seems. So, here is to another five years (or 50+, even) of marital bliss.

I don’t know what the future has in store for the two of us, but I’m excited to find out.
(Edit: Apparently stupid blogger thinks I posted this yesterday...and not this morning like I did. My anniversary is the 18th, not the 17th.)

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Congratulations La & Peter! Happy Anniversary!

Love,
Sarah

Jeff and Eliza said...

Happy Anniversary guys! Who needs kids anyway? Wait 5 more years to make sure you want them!

The Gale Family said...

Welcome to the blog world and happy anniversary!

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

Congrats on the five year mark!!