Saturday, May 2, 2009

Randomness...

Another semester is over bringing Peter just that much closer to graduating. Just one more year until he has his bachelors! Yay! Peter had two finals and a final paper for his classes this semester. He would have had an additional final project, too, but for some reason the professor tossed it out. He was pretty happy when he heard that. It was a pretty rough week any ways due to the fact that he's had a cold (which he has now passed on to me, marriage can just be so awesome sometimes...), but he managed to do well despite being sick. His grades came back today for all of his classes and he managed to get straight A's this semester! So, yeah...he obviously picked the wrong major because he's definitely failing. Yup.

I just hope that he can survive his senior year. He's scheduled to take 20 credits in the fall. The maximum allowed without special permission is 18. He has to do it, though, if he wants to graduate on time. It's going to be rough, but I know he can handle it.

In other news...don't buy Wal-Mart bread. This has nothing to do with the fact that Wal-Mart is a soulless corporation that should not be supported (I loathe them even more because I'm poor and their crap is cheap, so I end up buying stuff from them any ways!), but because their bread does not appear to decompose naturally.

I was at Wal-Mart several weeks ago with Peter getting something...I can't even remember what it was now, but we were there late and we happened to need bread, too, so we picked up their in-store brand while we were there. Normally I opt for Crumb Brothers, Great Harvest, or Old Grist Mill bread due to the fact that they don't use additives or preservatives, but it was late, we were in need, and the bakeries were all closed. The next day I made a sandwich and the bread was so horrible I haven't touched it since! It tasted...weird. Not like bread should taste. It tasted like...chemicals. So, the Wal-Mart loaf of bread has been sitting on top of my refrigerator for the last three weeks, uneaten and forgotten.

Today I decided to clean off the top of the fridge. I found the loaf of bread tucked behind some mostly consumed box of cereal, and to my astonishment--there wasn't a speck of mold growing anywhere on it! Now, when I buy Old Grist Mill bread it starts to grow mold nearly halfway through the week if I haven't eaten it by then! The Wal-Mart bread has been sitting on top of my fridge for nearly a month and it has yet to show any signs of spoiling! That's just not right! What kind of super chemicals did they put in that thing? Formaldehyde? The thought of putting all of those preservatives into my body just really makes me nervous. It's not...natural.

So, for that reason alone, I will never buy anything from the Wal-Mart bakery ever again. Next time, if it's late and the bakeries are all closed, I'm just going to make my own bread. That way, I'll at least know what's really in it.

P.S. I fixed the picture on my last post. For some reason it had disappeared.

2 comments:

Barb said...

That bread sounds super weird...I definitely won't be buying it! I avoid Wal-mart as much as possible! And congrats to Peter for straight A's!! That's great!

Barry said...

Man, my logic is so backwards from yours. I buy bread that lasts as long as possible because I don't go through it very quickly.

Preservatives, or bust!