Friday, April 15, 2011

Birthday Milestones, Incontinence, and Hairloss

I know I haven't blogged much recently, and some friends and family have asked me why, but to be honest the real reason is that...nothing has been going on.  Absolutely nothing.  We holed up for the winter (yeah...we don't really get out when it's -30) and mostly did a whole lot of nothing.  Peter was on furlough for about three months which wasn't much fun, lemme tell ya!  He was very happy when he got back to work two weeks ago, and the Forest Service promptly sent him off for about two weeks.  He was off in some little no-name town in southwestern Colorado supervising a tree planting, and then the next week he went off to Denver for his advanced cruising course which has something to do with setting up timber sales.  Why they call it "cruising" I have no idea but I keep picturing Peter driving around the woods with the windows rolled down with Bob Marley (or someone else equally chill) playing on the stereo.  I know this isn't what he actually does...he's really uh...doing something scientificy...that involves trees.  I really can't explain it well, you'd have to ask him.  Any ways, now that spring has sprung (not that you could tell because it's SNOWING) I hope to have fun outdoorsy adventures to blog about.

In other news, Peter turned the big 30 this week!  He got to spend his birthday riding around on ATVs and getting paid to do it.  Sometimes his job is pretty awesome...when he's actually working.  Speaking of his job, now that he has career status he's been busy looking for a new job.  Hopefully we'll be moving towards the end of the year.  I feel like we're both stagnating here in Gunnison, and it's definitely time to move on, though I will really miss some of the friends I have made here.

Because Peter is now an old man, you may think he is the one suffering from incontinence and hair loss...but no, it's not him.  That would be our dog.  Natasha has recently developed urinary incontinence which is really not fun.  Not fun at all.  She can hold her bladder like normal...unless she gets really excited, but when she gets tired she has a harder time controlling her little sphincter muscles and she starts to dribble which makes her lick herself clean and then she gets bladder infections.  It's all because of a hormone deficiency because she's spayed and isn't producing enough estrogen.  This type of incontinence usually happens to female dogs between the ages of 3 and 5.  Natasha will be 4 this year.  So, to treat it she has to be put on a hormone treatment.  Right now Peter and I are just trying to decide if we want to medicate her on a daily basis or twice a week.  There are pros and cons to both, but I won't bore you with it all.

As for the hair loss...it's spring and Natasha is blowing her winter coat.  I've been waiting for this to happen for the last few weeks as the weather started getting warmer.  I've read about it, but I've never dealt with it...and now that I have...I can tell you that it's pretty epic.  I was absentmindedly petting Natasha this evening when clumps of her hair started coming out.  So I pulled out our Furminator brush (by the way...I highly recommend it for anyone who has a dog that sheds) and after a short brushing session this is what we pulled out of her coat.


It's pretty much a small dog...and this is one reason why huskies are not for everyone.  For me, I find it amusing, and thankfully this only happens once a year (she does shed more noticeably in the fall too, but not quite as much).  So, Natasha's just one big ball of fun right now.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with all the fur.

Maybe I should take up knitting.

4 comments:

Mara said...

Happy, belated, Birthday to Peter from everyone at our house--it sounds like he had fun.

Barry said...

Haha! Yes! Make a Natasha sweater...

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

Haha dog knitted sweater. You could match! Happy birthday to Peter! I'm glad he's back to work. Glad you're out of your winter slumber in the blog world. :)

Crimson&Howitzer said...

I know exactly what you mean about the dog hair; Jax shed his about a month ago, then it was Nivia's turn. I've had extra 'puppies' running around for over a month now. I can't wait until they're finished! And good luck with your decision about her hormone treatment. It's hard to know what is the right thing to do.