It all began Tuesday when we left to visit Peter at work. His job takes him away from me for four days out of every week, so we thought camping out one night with him would be fun. It took two hours to drive out to his camp, but it was worth it to see him. The only disconcerting thing about the trip was that I began to hear a strange noise in my car towards the end of the drive. I told Peter about it, and he thought it was the bushings going out. I wasn't sure what this meant so I asked him, "My wheel's not gonna come off or anything, is it?" He assured me that it wouldn't.
Oh, the irony.
We had a fun evening with Peter and his coworkers, and then got up bright and early the next morning to go home since everyone else would be off working any ways. We had driven nearly nine miles down the road when my Jeep started to shake violently. Knowing something was definitely wrong, I began to brake, but at that instant the front of my car pitched forward and I watched in shock as the entire front driver-side wheel went rolling down the hill...away from my vehicle, which had come to a complete stop at that point. The next few moments are kind of a blur to me, but I clearly remember watching the wheel go bouncing and rolling away and thinking to myself, I can't believe that just happened. My entire wheel just came off. How does an entire wheel just come off?!
After I recovered from the shock and made sure both my little brother and my dog were okay, I climbed down the hill to retrieve my runaway wheel. My brother came down after me and carried the wheel all the way back to my car. The next step was to see if either one of us had any cell phone service, but of course, we were clear out in the middle of the woods; no signal. I knew our best option was to hike back to Peter's camp. So, I grabbed several bottles of Gatorade that we had thankfully brought with us, and we left the Jeep sitting three-legged in the middle of the road. It took us three and a half hours to hike nearly nine miles back up to Peter's campsite. We were all tired and hot when we got back. Unfortunately, no one was there so we had to wait six hours for everyone to return. Needless to say, Peter was pretty surprised to see me. I explained everything that happened, and Peter and a coworker left to go survey the damage. They managed to get a spare tire put on the Jeep by borrowing a lug and bolt from each remaining wheel, but the wheel well was damaged and it was rubbing against the spare, so it wasn't possible to drive far on it, but they did manage to get the Jeep moved off the forest and down to the highway. Jacob and I ended up staying with Peter that night and then left with him and the rest of his Forest Service crew the next day when they broke camp for the week.
Thankfully I had recently opted to have roadside assistance with my car insurance because my car is getting older and less reliable. When I got home I called my insurance company and they sent out a tow truck to bring my Jeep back. Peter then spent a good chunk of Friday afternoon fixing the wheel. It's now up and running and hopefully safe again. The whole experience was rather freaky, but I can only be grateful for how everything turned out. When I lost my wheel I was only going about 25 mph on a dirt road, and despite the fact that I was in the middle of nowhere without any cell phone service, I was still a reasonably close distance from people I knew who could help me. No one was hurt, and my Jeep wasn't totalled. My guardian angels must have been working overtime this week. I was really impressed with how my brother handled the entire thing, too. He was calm and cheerful the entire time. He made the nearly nine-mile hike like a champ and hardly complained. If he hadn't been with me, I probably would have panicked and done something stupid. I'm sorry he had to waste his vacation time being stuck with me out in the woods, but I'm grateful he was with me.
Peter and Natasha both working hard on the Jeep
5 comments:
Such a funny story about your car. Glad you and Jake were okay. I got your birthday messages, Thank You! I had a good day. And I'm really excited for your new job. It seems fitting that you will be working at a Vet.
Yikes! Glad you're all okay. We had a lug nut tightened too much on a car and it broke off entirely. We were in the middle of Nevada when it happened and fortunately just pulling into some town. The entire wheel didn't come off.
The other funny thing is that when your parents were heading home last week from the wedding I told them they were not allowed to get in any accidents because I know you people's luck with road trips.
Congrats on the new job! Always nice to be doing something you're interested in. :)
I'm so glad you are okay! You handled the situation better than I would have. :)
Holy cow! I've always wondered what it would be like to lose a wheel, and if I would remain calm even after the car stopped. I have a short fuse when it comes to 'sticky' situations. And congratulations on the job! When we moved to Logan I went without work for 2 months and drove Bryan insane. My little job was working for Tom and look what it turned into...a career. Good luck!
Craziness! Love the awesome stories! Keep them coming!
Also glad you guys didn't wreck when the tire fell off. :)
Post a Comment