Our first day in Tucson we had brunch at a little cafe in Tohono Chul Park. Afterwards we walked around the garden which displayed pretty much every species of cactus in Arizona.
Jack and Jaime
This little guy decided to join us for brunch
This guy also came to visit, but I didn't get
a very good picture of him. It's called a
Pyrrhuloxia which are a member of the
cardinal family.
The next day we decided to go for a hike on Mt. Lemon which is part of a mountain range just north of Tucson. From there we got a great view of the city of Tucson and surrounding valley from Windy Point. It was indeed windy.
Jack and Peter at Windy Point
We drove a little further up the mountain and actually found snow! Jack and Jaime had a lot of fun playing in it, but Peter and I were less than impressed. We came to Tucson to get away from the snow, so we drove back down a ways to go for a hike out of the snow.
Jack and Jaime enjoying the snow
My handsome hiker!
Our last day in Tucson we went to the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum. I thought that this was going to be some kind of stuffy indoor museum full of stuffed animals and artifacts, but to my surprise it was an outdoor museum full of live animals that are native to Arizona. Jack, Jaime, and Peter had a good time making fun of me when I said, "You mean they're alive?!" Apparently this museum is one of the biggest attractions in Arizona. Second only to the Grand Canyon, of course. One of the exhibits they had at the museum was a bird show where they had several native species of birds of prey fly around just over our heads. It was pretty cool.
A Chihuahuan and Common Raven
Ferruginous Hawk
I had a hard time getting more pictures of the birds because they were too busy flying around. After the show we toodled around the museum and looked at the rest of the animals. Here are some of my favorites:
This is a Javelina which is a pig-like critter
Coyote
Gila Monster, which are venomous if you didn't know
Screech Owl
Squirrel!!! He wasn't really part of the museum,
but he thought he should be
Sleeping grey fox
The southern end of a north bound Ocelot
One of my favorite animals in the world...otters!
Bighorn Sheep
Mexican Wolf
A cardinal
Prairie Dog...he's so fat he has a bum roll
I had been saying the entire time we were in Tucson
that I wanted to see a Roadrunner. I finally saw one,
but it was running around so much I had a hard time
getting a picture of the silly thing!
My favorite exhibit at the museum was the humminbird enclosure. They're such fascinating, and beautiful little things. One of my favorite stories about hummingbirds is the one where Peter was out working in the woods one day, and a hummingbird mistook his bright orange hardhat for a flower. It buzzed around his head and tapped his helmet with its beak making a loud, "TINK, TINK" noise.
This nest actually has a little baby in it if you can see it.
I had a really hard time getting my camera to focus on
this little guy, but you can still make out the beautiful
vibrant colors of its feathers.
That evening Jack and Jaime threw a barbeque for us with some of the other people we know in Tucson. We had a great time, but the next day we had to pack up and head back to cold, snowy Utah. It was kind of depressing to leave them and the warm weather, but it's always good to be home.
3 comments:
I love Tucson! Glad you had so much fun...what'd you think of the road out to the museum? Bryan had a blast hauling as fast as the rental would go, and I have to admit, when I went with my sister I couldn't resist either! Oh, and we got to see a gila in the desert; he crossed the road at the cave we went to. Sounds like the beginning of a joke...hmmmm...:)
Sounds like you had a blast!! And oh...85 degrees, if only. Not happy about the snow...
FUN
Post a Comment