Sunday, February 22, 2009

Weekend Update!

It's halfway through the spring semester and Peter is mostly busy with classes again. After this year he just has one more year until he has his bachelor of science degree in forestry and then just one more year to obtain his master of science degree in natural resources. Hopefully we can hang in there for that long. Even though Peter had an intense semester in the fall he did well and made the dean's list. He's been busy recently applying for jobs for the summer and applying for scholarships for next year. He has also been busy this weekend working on his initiation into the Forestry Honor Society, Xi Sigma Pi. Yup, that's right. Peter is joining a fraternity. His initiation consists of carving a tree out of wood and then getting signatures on it from all of the fraternity members from the USU chapter. I find the whole thing very amusing. He is also working on getting ready for the GRE he has to take by the end of the semester. Yay tests.

I haven't been up to much. Just working and trying to keep a roof over our heads and food on our table. It's been a somewhat stressful year with how the economy has been, but I consider myself fortunate that I have a job, even if most days it drives me nuts. I'm anxious to find out where we will be this summer. I want to start planning on housing and everything since we'll be moving in two months, so I'm kind of frustrated that we don't know yet. That's kind of how it goes every year, though. It's almost like being in the military. I’m also trying to figure out school next year. Things, unfortunately, didn’t work out this year, but I am bound and determined to go in the fall. I am mostly trying to figure out how to finance the whole thing. It’s kind of rough trying to put two people through college at the same time, but I know a lot of people who have done it, so I know it’s possible.

We're also excited about the two nieces or nephews we will be getting later this summer on both sides of our family. I am now officially the last girl to have a baby in my immediate family. I'm still holding out for my puppy, though!

In January Peter's parents came up for a visit. We decided to go up to Hardware Ranch and see the elk up there. We got to go on a horse-drawn sleigh out amongst the elk. I LOVE big draft horses, so it was even more of a treat for me other than seeing a giant herd of wild elk. The whole thing was pretty neat, although we nearly froze our butts off. Afterwards we went to a yummy Thai restaurant that we have in Logan called Kamin. Peter and I don’t have any room in our budget for eating out, so we only get to go whenever our awesome parents come up (or we go down to visit them) and they are kind enough to feed us. Here are a few pictures that my father-in-law took of our little excursion.





Well, that's about all that's going on around here. I'll let you all know where Peter and I end up this summer. Hopefully it will be someplace fun where people will want to come and visit us. :)

4 comments:

miniSCHOF said...

Hey you remember how to blog... haha kidding, it's been hella long since your last post. So you guys look pretty cold in that one picture, what were you guys doing out there?

Barb said...

That looks cold, but way fun!!

Laura Howard said...

Yeah, I know. It's been a while since I wrote anything.

Peter's parents came up to visit us and we were trying to come up with something to do for fun in Logan and someone mentioned Hardware Ranch. I'd never been there, but I'd heard about it so we decided to go see the elk...and freeze our butts off at the same time.

Barry said...

So that's where that facebook picture comes from!