Monday, December 8, 2008

Commission

A woman I work with commissioned me to draw a portrait of her and her late husband for Christmas. Aside from it being another project I can add to my portfolio/resume, it was also my first paid commission, so I was very excited about doing it. It was a lot of fun, and it helped to remind me of why I love to draw people. It's so challenging. Once I get in "the zone" I can draw for hours straight and wonder where the time has gone when I come back to reality. It keeps my normally flighty mind engaged, which is saying something.

Any ways, here is the finished product. Unfortunately, I don't own a scanner so I have to rely on my camera for digital images. It loses a lot of the detail that you would normally see. The actual piece looks a lot better, I assure you. One of these days I'll be able to afford new art supplies...one of these days.

7 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Hillarious said...

Good job, I've always been impressed by your artistic ability.

Sarah said...

I seriously think you should pursue this a lot more. I work with a bunch of older ladies that would just go ga ga over this!

Laura Howard said...

I've actually been seriously considering pursuing this a lot more, too. I delivered the finished product to my coworker this week and the main comment I heard from other coworkers was, "You can do this, and yet you work here?"

I've been thinking about making a website and figuring out advertising. We should talk.

Teresa said...

You are so talented! I love the drawings you did of the grandparents on both sides of your family. (Your dad proudly showed them to me!) I really think you could make a good living with your art. The good news is that you love doing it and you get to be your own boss. How great is that! I think everyone would love to to be in your shoes.

Barb said...

You've got some crazy good skills! And I agree - you should pursue. =)

Found your blog through Teresa's! Consider yourself officially blog-stalked now...

ryandbarb.blogspot.com

Barry said...

WOW! I am extremely impressed! That looks wonderful! You're so talented, Laura. :)

miniSCHOF said...

Amazing job! You always have been an incredible artist!